With hits including I Will Always Love You, I Wanna Dance With Somebody and Saving All My Love For You, her impressive list of awards includes two Emmy Awards, six Grammy Awards, 30 Billboard Music Awards, 22 American Music Awards. Strongly influenced by her mother, gospel singer Cissy Houston, as well as Cissy's cousin Dionne Warwick and her godmother Aretha Franklin, Whitney is reported to have sold more than 170 million albums and is the most awarded female act ever according to the Guinness Book of Records. She also gained a secondary career as an actress thanks to films like The Bodyguard and Waiting to Exhale.
But increasingly her musical achievements were overshadowed by drink and drug abuse, and her much-publicised marriage and divorce to Bobby Brown.
News of Houston's death came on the eve of US music's biggest night - the Grammy Awards.
- 1991, singing the US national anthem before Super Bowl XXV
- 1993, with Bobby Brown at the MTV Movie Awards
- 1998, MTV Video Music Awards
- 2002, at the MTV Europe Music Awards
- 2008, Clive Davis pre-Grammy party
- 2009, performing at the Grammys
- 2009, at the American Music Awards