» »

Brooklyn City Guide

Want to experience where the real New Yorkers live?

Brooklyn Bridge and the Manhattan skyline​Discover: Take a stroll across Brooklyn Bridge for beautiful views of the Manhattan skyline. Photo: Rex Features

While there's no place quite like Manhattan, the often-overlooked sister borough of Brooklyn is fast becoming the hipster hotspot of NYC.

Where the locals live, dine, drink and shop, it really is a world away from the tourist hustle and bustle of the island in feel, but not in distance (just two subway stops, or a quick cab ride.)

With a fierce sense of community pride, hidden cultural delights and more restaurants than your waistline would care for, Brooklyn is all those adjectives you associate with the cool kids: edgy, urban and undeniably individual - the Shoreditch to Manhattan's Mayfair, if you will.

Here are our top ten tips if you're planning trip:

Passion for fashion? Follow us on Twitter and become our fan on Facebook

Comments

We encourage lively discussion at MyDaily. Please be aware when you leave a comment that your user name, screen name and photo may be displayed with your comment, visible to everyone on the Internet. If you think a comment is inappropriate, you may select to report it to our monitors for review.

*0 / 3000 Character Maximum

7 Comments

Filter by:
fuddsi

I'm spending 5 days in manhattan with my wife for her 40th birthday from 16th. If any locals want to recommend particular places of interest, eateries or other local knowledge please email fuddsi@aol.com. We're visitors from the UK and would appreciate local help!

February 05 2012 at 8:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
illybelliot11

Aww I'm going to New York tomorrow (this article had amazing time popping up today) would love an opportunity to go to Brooklyn but its a school trip so I won't be able to go but its just one more thing to add to my life's to do list!

February 05 2012 at 7:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to illybelliot11's comment
epdean

Illy school trips are the starting point for developing a passion for travel. It will last you all your life.

Make your list and make it a long one :-)

Enjoy the trip.

February 05 2012 at 7:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pat

I spent a week in Brooklyn 2008 in a brownstone apartment with my sister and neice to celebrate my sister's 60th birthday and it was the best experience I have ever had regarding holidays. I had been a couple of years earlier and stayed in a hotel near to Times Square and although it was fab, there is no comparison to meeting New Yorkers in their own neighbourhood. They were friendly, helpful and loved the fact that people were holidaying in their community. I would go back in a heartbeat and can only say to people: try it and enjoy.
I am not an advert for the place we booked with, but if interested the place to make enquiries is, Tranquility Suites.

February 05 2012 at 5:07 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Pat's comment
Harry

Where did you travel from ? Manhatton? Most of us in UK can't afford to travel out of the country - we're being taxed out of te sky !!!!

February 05 2012 at 11:59 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
kraw2222

Brooklyn is a wonderful place!!!!! Even though I was born and raised in Manhatten (and Long Island), as an adult I lived for many years in Bayridge, Brooklyn. It was a fantastic place to live. I worked in lower Manhatten and was 20mins on the subway to work!!! Multi-cultural, great restruants, shops and bars. Lots of things to do, parks, museums and great people, what more can you ask of a place!!!

February 05 2012 at 4:06 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply